Friday, April 11, 2008

Tagging and del.icio.us: Thing #11

I tagged a blog entry, set up a del.icio.us account, and tagged and stored some of my favorite sites for book research when I am working on orders and cataloging.

I believe there is potential for this tool in the uses I mentioned above--it will save time when I want to quickly get to my favorite bookstore inventory sites to find out whether a copy of a book I need is on the shelf. This is something I do frequently when students request a particular book and, before I run over to Borders or Barnes and Noble by Ridgedale to buy a copy, I want to make sure there's actually a copy available on the shelf in one of those stores. In addition, when I'm doing original cataloging it's often helpful to double-check some subject headings or classifications that the Hennepin County library uses, and going to "my del.icio.us" would give me a quick link there as well.

I can imagine that the tags would help categorize these various favorite sites in a helpful way. I will be retiring soon, and putting my favorite helpful sites into categories would even be a useful tool to share with whoever has my position next!

No comments: