Friday, April 11, 2008

Do You Digg?: Thing #12

My goodness, there are a lot of possibilities for sharing favorite news items and seeing what other people have shared that resulted in items becoming "popular." Of the four tools listed, I thought Digg and Reddit were cluttered and unattractive, Mixx and Newsvine less so.

I find it interesting that The New York Times online version, which I go to frequently, builds in a capability of sharing articles via Mixx, Digg, etc. I typically share links to articles via e-mail to people I think would find an article interesting, and I haven't given much thought to "sharing" them in a much broader way.

As far as uses go, I can see where keeping tabs on "most popular" news items would be a good heads-up for possible reference questions (and even my personal e-mail provider, Comcast, has started putting links to popular news items on the opening e-mail screen), but I have to admit that I'm not necessarily otherwise interested in what the general population has made "popular." Judging by the very unimportant items that can easily pop up in "most shared" lists just because of their novelty, and the inane YouTube videos that are often the most popular, the taste of the masses does not always match my own! I also tend to feel that many people clog up their lives and minds with nonessential information, while important issues of the world sink below the radar. With SO MUCH information on SO MANY topics, having ways to tailor the "feed" to my personal preferences would be helpful, but I'm sure I will continue to rely on The New York Times and other sites with readers like myself for a more trustworthy gauge.

No comments: