Sunday, April 13, 2008

Libraries and Gaming: Thing #15

I've been compiling a large file of information and articles about computer gaming, particularly about how gaming relates to building thinking skills and the potential applications of gaming to the world of libraries, and I believe that gaming is another very popular 2.0 activity that we library media professionals need to figure out ways to incorporate into how we help people connect with information.

I chose to explore Second Life for this Thing, since I have been intrigued by this online multi-player "game" for several years, particularly since participating in a fascinating session about it at a MEMO conference, and since my all-time favorite library media hero, Doug Johnson, said in a recent post on his Blue Skunk blog that he will be giving a presentation on Info Island. It's time to get on board!!! I installed it, I have gone through the basic orientation helps, and I am looking forward to getting back to it in the near future so I can fine-tune my avatar and get a better idea of the interesting places there are to visit.

No comments: