Thursday, February 21, 2008

RSS: Thing #3

OK, so now I have finally had a nudge to set up some subscriptions to my favorite blogs. I actually used a little program called Vienna, which is a favorite among many of my teacher colleagues, since it can be used to track your subscriptions without actually having to launch a browser beforehand. It has a very clean, uncluttered interface and excellent searching capabilities. This is all according to my personal tech guru, Terri Osland, whose blog is listed in the "My Favorite Blogs" section of my blog.

I'm sure that having RSS feeds of the blogs I read regularly will save me the hassle of needing to maintain a large bookmarks bar of blog links and having to remember to check each of them occasionally. Particularly with technology tips, I want to get the information in a timely way. A favorite blog related to my personal life is my niece Sarah's blog of her experiences as a Peace Corps volunteer in Bolivia. She doesn't post on any regular basis, so I tend to forget to check it and have missed some important updates that other family members have known about instantly, thanks to their having set up an RSS feed.

My colleague John U-F, who teaches AP U.S. Government & Politics and is an expert on all current political topics and a master of technology integration as well, uses RSS feeds to make sure that he is instantly alerted to any announcements of new poll results, primary election results, etc., and he then can incorporate that news immediately into his lesson plans for the day. That's another great example of how RSS can be used in education!

No comments: